#Lockdownpilgrimagechallenge - Day 3

Destination - My Parish Church ( It's Sunday I go to church on Sunday) St. John the Baptist, Coltishall

Route - a little over a mile, up the hill from the Lower Common. 



I was more than pleased that visitors are staying away. Normally on a Sunday during the Easter hols, the car park and pubs would be full and all the moorings occupied by hire boats!  It dawned on me how privileged we are to live in a Norfolk village and how grateful I was for visitors staying away!


Our weekly pilgrimage,  to our parish churches,  was one that Henry VIII never  suppressed. No family service today. Regretfully, I had decided to leave my donkey at home.

My first stop on reaching the church,  was to find a place on the north wall where the earliest part of the has been incorporated into  a later extension. It is full on Roman bricks re-used by the 11th Century builders. I tend to kiss things when I am on pilgrimage, but today I just place my hand on one and felt myself connected across the years. - connected to the brutal Roman Empire, the Emire which had conquered the Icini back in the day and crucified our Lord.


Were you there when they crucified my Lord? We sing. No, but I know a man who was! An empty niche about the west door once housed a statue of St. John the Evangelist,  Jesus' best mate! He was there.



Looking at the empty niche I resolve to go through Holy Week and Easter with St. John giving particular attention to his Gospel



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Elmham

First Day of the Rest of My Life

A Candlemas Pilgrimage