Ascension Day Pilgrimage

Ascension Day is a major feast day. I go to church on major feast days. Just because the churches are closed in lockdown is not sufficient reason to break my rule.
Today it was St. Peter's, Belaugh. I chose a high place for Ascension Day. As disapproving Puritan described it as  -  "The Steeple house [of Belaugh St Peter, stands high, perked like one of the idolatrous high places of IsraelQuite likely, if the founders establish a Christian church on what had been a pagan place of worship.


I like it that I came by boat. I think St. Peter might have liked it too!



Maybe the Broads should be twinned with Galilee. I imagine a 'chippy' Jesus mending boats in the boatyard beside this river. And I think Peter would chuckle at the amusing notice!




No fishing!


Snippets of pslams and hymns come to my mind as I climb the pilgrim path " Who can ascend the hill of the Lord, who can stand in his holy place. He that hath clean hands and a pure heart", " "Hail the day that sees him rise."




At the top there are wildflowers to consider


And then I sit and think - sit and pray - listen. 
"Go!"  I hear Jesus tell his disciples. " "Make disciples of all nations." It took six hundred years for the message to come to Belaugh...  Now its nearly, 2000 years since Jesus gave us our marching orders and there's still lots to do.

I look up.

Its Ascension Day!

I look out!



A snippet of Gospel comes into mind, 'And I say to another "Go" and he goeth!"

That's me then! And I'm off down the hill and the rest of my life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Elmham

First Day of the Rest of My Life

A Candlemas Pilgrimage