A Bitter Pilgrimage

 The walking was great! The wild flowers  - to die for! I was in North Cyprus last week. The bitterness comes through visiting the disused, deserted, and desecrated churches. When the Greek Christian community fled they took some the better icons with them. Others robbed the best that were left and the least worthy have found their ways into Icon Museums run by the Dept. of Antiquities.

I don't know the history of Kozan Monastery but I entered to pray.

It is a goat shed now!



Standing in the apse I began to sing the Gloria -
It's the TS Elliot thing "kneeling where prayer has been valid! 
But choked somewhere in the middle - 
I couldn't fight back the tears

Could this be the future for our Norfolk rural churches?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Elmham

First Day of the Rest of My Life

A Candlemas Pilgrimage