Defining Pilgrimage


A Humpty Dumpty word - Pilgrimage !

 "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean— neither more nor less." 
The British Pilgrimage Trust .......
 believes that pilgrimage in Britain today should not attempt to imitate Medieval forms of religious exclusivity. Instead, we are aiming to renew the tradition to fit with modern needs. To this end, the BPT aims to help pilgrimage become a spiritual activity open to all, without religious prescription. The path is open to everyone.

This begs several questions. Even when turning a blind eye on what is meant by "Medieval forms of religious exclusivity" and a renewed tradition that fits with modern needs; what turns a journey into a pilgrimage? or a long distance walk into a walking pilgrimage?

Spiritual is another Humpty Dumpty word!  So I'll try and avoid it.

Connecting across time

I can move freely in three dimensions with ease. Time allows me no movement at all save in memory and imagination.  My physical existence is in the here and now!  And yet by being in a particular place I 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Elmham

First Day of the Rest of My Life

A Candlemas Pilgrimage